The original Torrey Pines Lodge is situated above the cliffs of Torrey Pines State Beach and was commissioned and financed by Ellen Browning Scripps in 1922. Architects Richard Requa and Herbert Lewis Jackson designed the lodge and it was completed in February 1923. Modeled after Hopi Indian Houses in the pueblo revival styles of Arizona, it was originally a restaurant catering to tour buses and road trippers traveling along the “new” Pacific Coast Highway. The lodge is still in use and is currently the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve Visitor Center and Ranger Station.
Learn more about the history of the original Torrey Pines Lodge and Visitor Center at the Torrey Pines Docent Society.
PHOTO CREDIT(S): Research Library, SDNHM